Quote of the Week

"I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! -- When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library."
Jane Austen (Pride and Prejudice)

Monday, May 17, 2010

Going Bovine

Going Bovine by Libba Bray
I just finished reading this book over the weekend and I must say that it deserves all the attention it's been getting especially the little gold sticker on the cover... the Printz Award. For those of you who don't know, it is the highest award a young adult novel can receive. Naturally, this award was what first drew me to this book. I read a sample chapter online to see what it was really like and I was hooked. Her writing in this novel is incredible.
Why it's noteworthy: It handles a serious subject in a funny and original way. It depicts high school life incredibly well for those who are numb to the good things in life or for those who feel like their family is a hinderance to who they are, and shows young adults that battles can be fought and won, just maybe not in the way they expected. What I like most about it is that it can teach young adults to live and love the best they can before it's too late. Life doesn't mean anything if you don't let it. Cameron, the main character, is numb to his surroundings and doesn't understand what he's missing in life until he is somewhat forced into a major change of heart.
Caution: I would recommend this book to older young adults, because language, drug use and sexual references.
Though it is not happy, this book has so much value for young adults, and that is why I recommend it.
If you want to know more about it, I would be more than happy to give you more information.

No comments: