Quote of the Week

"I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! -- When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library."
Jane Austen (Pride and Prejudice)

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Superhero

As promised, here is a little snippet from my new story.  Hope you enjoy!


“See that hot guy over there?” I say to Stacey as I stand up from the table in the cafeteria.
She rolls her eyes.
“Remember how he’s my boyfriend?”  I continue standing and make my way over to him.
Tyler isn’t the guy you might find attractive, but I don’t really care what you think.  He’s my boyfriend and I love him.  He’s tall, lanky, dark hair, and over all pretty average looking.  Until he smiles.  And there’s that smile now.  He totally makes me melt.  I can’t help giving him a gigantic grin back.  I try to be coy, but it never works.
“Hey you,” I say when I reach him.  He has a tray of food in his hands, but he doesn’t let that get in the way of planting one on me right there in front of everyone.  They’re all used to it by now. 
“Can’t you guys go somewhere else to do that?” someone from the cafeteria calls out.  Guess they’re not as used to it as I thought.  You’d think that two weeks of seeing our relationship bloom people would stop with the snide comments.  Guess not.
With a relationship as happy go lucky as we have you might think it was one of those happy stories.  One of those that happens like this: boy and girl meet, go on date, hold hands, kiss, smile, happy still.  It was actually nothing like that.  He would have nothing to do with me.  Okay, that’s not really true either.  We didn’t really want to associate with each other. 
It was a mutual decision made long ago when a girl said something mean to a boy at recess and he punched her.  He thought he had super powers…and I didn’t believe him.  I taunted him endlessly.  But let’s not dwell on something that happened so long ago.  Everything is obviously different between us now.
All right, I know you’re dying to find out how everything changed between us.  But, I have to warn you this story doesn’t start pretty.

3 comments:

Heather said...

So intriguing! I love it!!!

Mallary said...

Thank you!

Jernae said...

this is totally new for you:) different style, and I like it!