Quote of the Week

"I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! -- When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library."
Jane Austen (Pride and Prejudice)

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Everyone Should Read This

I took a one day break from my other book to read The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch.  Usually, I don't read much by way of non-fiction.  Many of you read my post about writing non-fiction.  I have always thought there is a time and a place for non-fiction by way of self help.  Normally I pass by the section without so much as a wave of recognition.  I'm not very good at seeking for help, especially when I need it.

Because I don't really read in this genre willingly, it took this month's book for my book club to read this one.  I have to admit, it was so worth it and completely inspiring.  Sometimes we don't always realize we're looking for help when we find it.  Because of this book I've realized I just need to step up to the brick walls in my life and realize that there's always a way to get to the other side and reach our childhood dreams.  Since there is a child within each of us, these dreams are not really that far-fetched.

My favorite message from the book: "The brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something."  If you want something strongly enough you will find a way around, over, or through the wall.  Sometimes I forget how badly I want something because the wall is blocking my view.

Randy Pausch was a professor at Carnegie Mellon.  After only being married eight years and with three young children he was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer which is almost always fatal.  This book shows not only how he lived the last months of his life, but how he lived his entire life.  He wasn't going to let the biggest brick wall he'd ever encountered stop him from achieving and living how he always wanted.

No comments: