Quote of the Week

"I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! -- When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library."
Jane Austen (Pride and Prejudice)

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Felt So Good!

For the past couple of weeks I've been taking a break on my novel and writing bits of other stories.  I was getting so frustrated with my novel because nothing seemed to be working right.  All of the characters were flat and boring, save for one.  Who just happens to be the main love interest later on in the story.  The only scenes that have been working are the ones where he is present.  Okay, that's not entirely true, other scenes have worked out well too.

The biggest problem is my main character.  For some reason I just couldn't get into her head.  Since the story is written in first person from her point of view, it's kind of vital to know what she's thinking.  She a great strong character, but everything just seems to be happening too easily for her.

Yesterday, I pulled the story out again and just started writing and trying to add some more depth to her character or even to the other characters to enhance her.  Next thing I knew five pages had stumbled out of me!  Hooray!  I think I may be back on the novel train!

No comments: