Quote of the Week

"I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! -- When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library."
Jane Austen (Pride and Prejudice)

Friday, May 11, 2012

Ender's Game

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card is simply one of my favorite books of all time.  I've just finished reading it for the second time, and I think I loved it even more.  Maybe it's because I've grown up a little bit, or I have a little more reading experience under me, but more than that I felt like I was renewing old friendships.  Like I was talking an old friend that I haven't seen in years.  The characters in this book stay with you.  They've stayed with me.

This book is exciting, smart, and really enjoyable.  Some of you may be thinking, "Sci-fi?  I don't like sci-fi."  I've always liked science fiction, but I don't think I really started to like it until I read this book.  Not the alien-type stuff anyway.  Before you freak out about reading about aliens, there really isn't that much.  This is the story of children actually.  A story of beating the odds and coming out on top when all was potentially lost.

Ender is only six years old when when he is recruited into the International Fleet (I.F.).  He may be the one to save the world from the "Buggers," but if he's not, it could mean the end of everything.  Ender is recruited because he's brilliant.  His brother and sister are also brilliant but, failed to be recruited because he was too violent and too willing kill, and she wasn't willing enough.  Ender is believed to be the perfect blend of both, the perfect leader of an army to end the war.  But, after the relentless training he receives, will he be too broken when it's his turn to lead?

What I love most about this book is the fact that they're all children doing incredible things and facing what few adults ever face.  Not only that, but they are absolutely brilliant!  This book is surprising and well deserving of its awards.  The writing, on occasion, was not perfect, but I devoured this book too fast to care.  You should also know, that I rarely re-read books, and this one was even better the second time around.

Happy reading!

No comments: