Quote of the Week

"I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! -- When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library."
Jane Austen (Pride and Prejudice)

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Breakthrough!

I think I had a breakthrough last night.  So often while I'm writing a story I think about it as a movie in my head.  This is all fine and dandy until I realize that all I have offered my poor readers is description and stage direction.  The emotion falling completely flat.  It's been happening less and less now that I've noticed it.  But, unfortunately it still happens.
Last night The Proposal came on TV, and yes, I watched it instead of going to bed or doing homework.  I've always thought the movie was a little lacking in the chemistry part.  I never felt like she connected with him or showed her connection strongly enough until the very end.  While watching it, the opposite happened.  I actually found myself thinking about what her thoughts would be in novel form!  This has never happened.  And I thought that this could be one of those instances where a novel could be better than the movie (maybe) simply because the reader could experience what she's thinking!
I guess it's true that a writer is always writing huh?  For me that was an incredible breakthrough!

2 comments:

Jernae said...

SHAME!!!!!!!!!!!! You told me you had to do HOMEWORK! ;)

anyway, I'm happy for your breakthrough. when I write, i usually see the movie thing too...but I'm the main character. how would i react to that situation (in my dreams), and what would i think? it makes it fun, and THATS where i get the emotion from.

Mallary said...

I KNOW! I needed just five minutes to write a blog post. Just a little break, I swear!