Quote of the Week

"I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! -- When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library."
Jane Austen (Pride and Prejudice)

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

The Mortal Instruments

I have now finished my first book of the summer.  Oh, what a kick-off!  This one really didn't disappoint.  I had very high hopes for Clary and Jace, because I love them, and love them together!  Even if Jace did spend a great deal of the book torturing himself... There's something about him I just can't get enough of.

Now, because I know a lot of you haven't read any in this series yet, I don't want to give anything away.  This is the 4th book in the series and there would be a lot in it I could talk about that would give it away.  However, what I will talk about is how well Cassandra Clare has continued on with the story.  When I finished the original trilogy of the Mortal Instruments I suffered a serious withdrawal.  While the story had wrapped itself up nicely I just didn't want to be done with it.  I guess the author had similar feelings and decided she needed to write three more!  I had no qualms with this.  But how do you continue on with a story that you have ended?  You'll just have to find out how seamlessly she did it when you read the series.

One thing I love about Cassandra Clare's books is that she makes all of her characters matter.  I noticed that more in this book even than the others.  (Maybe that's because I already cared about these characters and wanted more of each of them.)  Every character has a place that matters, even if their story is not one of the main ones.  In fiction, every part of the story matters.  That's what makes it vibrant and full.

While there are some interesting biblical references in the plot of this story that should probably be read realizing the story is fiction, this really is a great series.  I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!  I just have to say it!  I LOVE JACE!

Here is the rest of the series!



 Don't forget to check out the prequel series too!

No comments: