Quote of the Week

"I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! -- When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library."
Jane Austen (Pride and Prejudice)

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

13 Reasons Why

Recent events have reminded me of this book.  I read it about three years ago and sometimes I still find myself thinking about it.  It's one that I would recommend for many to read.  There's some tough stuff in it, but so much value.  You never know how you are going to affect someone's life for better or for worse.  This book actually made me want to be better and do better.

Clay returns home from school one day to find a mysterious box filled with cassette tapes.  They're from Hannah, his classmate and crush who committed suicide two weeks earlier.  As he begins to listen he learns that each side of the tapes is a reason she did it and he is one of them.  Thirteen in total.

There's suspense from the very beginning because Clay has no idea why he would be a reason why she died.  All he did was like her.  Because of the premise of the book, you can see how there would be tough stuff.  Yet, somehow, the book ends with so much hope.  Personally, I think it it absolutely necessary for young adult novels to read books that end with hope.  They don't have to be happy, just end with the hope of a bright tomorrow.  And this book does just that.

No comments: