Quote of the Week

"I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! -- When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library."
Jane Austen (Pride and Prejudice)

Friday, February 3, 2012

Legend

My bookcase is always suffering under weight of books I have yet to read.  I don't think this is something that will ever change.  Especially since I have several I need to read and I plan on buying a couple more before the week is out thanks to Barnes & Noble coupons.  (Yes, they love me after all.)  I don't know how any of you do it, but when I'm deciding what book to read next I feel it imperative that I read the one I'm most in the mood for.  That way I get the most pleasure out of the book possible.  How do I decide which I'm most in the mood for, you ask?  I read the first page of each of them.  There is always one that I keep reading without realizing it.  When I come to my senses on page three, I know I've found the right one.

Last week when I was going through this process I came across two that I kept reading.  Legend by Marie Lu was the one I decided on.  At first I felt I had made a terrible mistake.  I think I was actually more in the mood for an adult book.  However, I prevailed and was delighted with this book.  In the beginning I was thinking it was a little forced and juvenile.  I liked it still, but there was something missing.  (I think I was just in the mood for some adult time with a book.)  There was something missing until the plot twist came.  Then, I couldn't put it down.  The love story did seem to come on rather quickly and without any build-up, and you all know how I love the anticipation, but it still worked out okay.  The writing got better, the action intensified, and it was an enjoyable read.

Legend is the story of Day and June.  Both have a very different history and come from very different backgrounds.  The world is in chaos with the wars between the colonies and the Republic, not only that but a new virus has sprung up and the poor can't afford the cure.  Day is only trying to protect his family and June is trying to do what she knows is right.  When the worlds of these two characters collide their lives will be forever changed.

Enjoy!

No comments: