Quote of the Week

"I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! -- When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library."
Jane Austen (Pride and Prejudice)

Thursday, March 15, 2012

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer

Is anyone else thinking my reading pace is incredibly slow?  Man!  Feels like it takes me forever to finish a book.  Despite how crazy life has been for me lately, I found something new and totally crush-worthy!  The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin.  I had heard about this book and wasn't sure if I ever wanted to read it until my friends Jessika and Jentry recommended it.  Initially they kept gushing about how wonderful Noah is.  As you know, I'm always looking for a new book crush.  So, I picked it up.  You won't be able to help yourself with the mystery and intrigue in this one, and if that doesn't do it, the romance between Noah and Mara will.

Mara has recently been through a horrific tragedy where she lost her best friend.  The worst part?  No one can tell her what happened.  She's the only one who knows, and she can't remember.  Thinking life would be easier to cope somewhere else, she and her family move to Florida.  Mara feels like she's in a downward spiral.  Something unexplainable is happening to her, but if she tells anyone they'll think she's crazy.  At her new school she's made more enemies than friends because the most attractive guy in the school suddenly seems to have an interest in her.

The only thing I didn't like about this book was the foul language.  And, I will admit, in the beginning I wasn't sure how much I loved Mara.  Her character is bitter, cynical, and hurt.  But...how would you feel if you lost everything, moved to a new place where everyone hated you, your family walks on eggshells around you, and you think you're going crazy?  So, long story short, I forgave her.  Noah eventually helped neutralize her also. The mystery kept me reading and the chemistry was beautiful.  You know that awkward moment when you're so enthralled in your book and your boss walks in and catches you reading when you're not supposed to, and you jump when she speaks because you didn't realize she was there?  Yep.  That happened.  Twice.  In one day.

Hope you're all reading marvelous things!
Happy reading!

No comments: