Quote of the Week

"I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! -- When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library."
Jane Austen (Pride and Prejudice)

Monday, April 16, 2012

Crush-worthy Part II

Whether or not you're ready for round two, I'm giving it to you!  And, I hope you know that this list will continue to grow until the day I can no longer read.  Since I don't foresee that ever happening, rest easy in knowing I will always have a book to suggest to you.  Take that as you will, and here we go!

Wolves of Mercy Falls by Maggie Stiefvater
Reason for crush: Sam & Cole
Type of love story: Werewolf, Paranormal
Quote: "It wasn't the sort of kiss I'd had with anyone before. This kiss was so soft it was like a memory of a kiss, so careful on my lips that it was like someone running his fingers along them. My mouth parted and stilled; it was so quiet, a whisper, not a shout. Cole's hand touched my neck, thumb pressed into the skin next to my jaw. It wasn't a touch that said I want more. It was a touch that said I want this.
It was all completely soundless. I didn't think either of us was breathing. Cole sat back up, slowly, and I opened my eyes. His expression, as ever, was blank. The face he wore when something mattered.
He said, 'That's how I would kiss you, if I loved you.'"  -From Forever
Gush:  I know, I know, a werewolf story.  This is unlike any other you've read before and I think it completely works.  And, yes, there are two reason to crush on this series.  Sam is a mysterious song-writer who loves unconditionally.  Cole, also a musician, is dangerously attractive and will flat-out break you but keep you coming back for more.  There are times when I can't decide who I crush on more.  But, I do love the musicians.
Books in the series: Shiver, Linger, Forever


The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin
Reason for crush: Noah
Type of love story: Unexpected, Force-of-Nature
Quote: "I was going to kiss him, and I was going to regret it. But at that moment, I couldn't bring myself to care."
Gush: Noah is completely flawed, arrogant, and he smokes.  So, why on Earth would anyone crush on him?  Because underneath that exterior he's absolutely wonderful and loves as deeply as one could hope for.  One delicious thing about this book is that the two main character both have a somewhat hardened exterior and when their together they neutralize and bring out better qualities in each other.
Books in the series: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, The Evolution of Mara Dyer (My guess is there will be a third)


Fallen by Lauren Kate
Reason for crush: Daniel
Type of love story: Fallen angels, Love-that-stands-against-time
Quote: "I’ll love you with all my heart, in every life, through every death. I
will not be bound by anything but my love for you."
Gush: I should probably also say the covers for these books are worth "crushing" on.  Aren't they beautiful?  That was what first led me to Fallen.  Daniel is an angel.  Need I say more?  Well, I'll say a little more: he has loved Lucinda since the beginning and every 17 years he has to watch her leave again.  Despite the odds they always find each other and never give up.
Books in the series: Fallen, Torment, Passion, Rapture




The Host by Stephenie Meyer
Reason for crush: Jared & Ian
Type of love story: Alien/Human, Forbidden
Quote: "What was it that made this human love so much more desirable to me than the love of my own kind? Was it because it was exclusive and capricious? The souls offered love and acceptance to all. Did I crave a greater challenge?...Or was it simply better somehow? Because these humans hate with so much fury, was the other end of the spectrum that they could love with more heart and zeal and fire?"
Gush: Stephenie Meyer?  Yep.  I loved this book.  Nay, I devoured this book and loved every second.  I read it so fast that I really didn't think about the writing.  There are several of you out there who said you couldn't get into this one.  I encourage you to try again.  Even if you can't handle the writing, try it again, because I really love this story.  Jared and Ian are two of my biggest crush-worthy characters.  What Stephenie Meyer lacks in writing I think she makes up for in storytelling.  Let go of the fact that it's science fiction and read it for the love.  Science fiction is supposed to be strange!


Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
Reason for crush: Edward
Type of love story: Vampire/Human, Paranormal, Dangerous
Quote: "Look after my heart - I've left it with you."(I tried.  I really tried to find a good quote, and when comparing it to all of these other crush-worthy books there wasn't one I loved.)
Gush: Admit it.  You've all read it, and you liked it.  In my personal opinion these books were cheapened with hype and the movies.  People now criticize her for warping vampires into what she did, but it was new and no one had ever done it before.  I'm not saying it's my favorite twist on vampires, but it obviously worked.  A writer must keep the intended audience in mind and her audience loved it.  I won't defend the writing, but she created a unique story, and Edward is rather delicious in the books.
Books in the series: Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse, Breaking Dawn

Stay tuned for future crush-worthy books and series!
Happy reading!

No comments: