Quote of the Week

"I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! -- When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library."
Jane Austen (Pride and Prejudice)

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

The Great Gatsby

Oh F. Scott Fitzgerald.  You make my heart sing for the way you portray your characters.  Vivid details that don't just describe the way a person looks, but the way a person is and wants to be and how that person makes the main character feel.

"He smiled understandingly-much more than understandingly. It was one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it, that you may come across four or five times in life. It faced--or seemed to face--the whole eternal world for an instant, and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. It understood you just as far as you wanted to be understood, believed in you as you would like to believe in yourself, and assured you that it had precisely the impression of you that, at your best, you hoped to convey."

You see what I mean?  Lovely isn't it?  All of those beautiful words just to describe the way a person smiles.

I have to admit, this book moves a little slowly at first, but once I got into it and the real story between Daisy and Gatsby gets going, I had to keep reading.  I actually don't love the main character, through whose thoughts we mingle in through the book, but I was enchanted by the other characters.  Gatsby remains a mystery until the end.  We only get to know him a little bit and yet, I still feel for him.  Not only him, but the other characters were very intriguing.  Even though each character is filtered through the first person narrative of a man I don't particularly care for, they shine!

This is a classic not to be missed.  The writing alone is worth reading!  There were many times I got caught up in how the words fit together that I forgot to read the story too.  

No comments: