Quote of the Week

"I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! -- When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library."
Jane Austen (Pride and Prejudice)

Monday, July 26, 2010

Working Day

Today is going to be what I am affectionately calling a working day.  Since I quit my job in the spring I've felt that I needed to be writing.  And what have I done with said feeling?  Not a whole lot.  Yeah I've written the occasional short story and I keep trying to outline a book that's been festering in the back of my mind.  But what have I really done?  I really don't have much to show for myself.  Last night I got to thinking about how I really write and I remembered a philosophy I adapted a couple of years ago.  I realized that I just need to sit down and write.  That's how all of my best work has come about.  Outlines are nice but they've never worked for me.  What I need to do is just sit down and let my characters tell the story as it happened.  So, needless to say that's what I'm going to do today.  I'm just going to sit down next to a power source and let my characters tell the story.  If it doesn't work, who cares?  After all writing is re-writing, right?

On a different note, I finished yet another book.  I devoured this one in just a couple of days.  It is the second book in the Wolves of Mercy Falls trilogy.  (The first book is Shiver.)  It took a very interesting spin that I didn't expect.  However, I wasn't really surprised by it.  The first book hints at it and the reader knows it has to happen sooner or later.  I loved the introduction of new points of view and grew to love those even more than the original characters.  Maybe just because they're new... maybe.  This book is very well written and seems almost poetic at times, just like the first one.  Now, unfortunately, and as usual I am waiting for the third one.  In the mean time, I think I will be picking up other books by Maggie Stiefvater.  Happy reading!

No comments: